Tuesday 9 February 2010

Sterling times in Stirling

I thought people might like an account of the epic BUCS journey this weekend, so here it is.

Last Friday wasn't an especially cold day in town. I remember cramming all the stuff in to my suitcase and popping down to college to hand some work in and sweating in my coat on the way. It wasn't going to be that mild in Scotland, though, so I sweated all the way to King's Cross where I arrived with ages in spare time. As we boarded the train I remember someone giving me the most horrendous death stare as my bag gave him the lightest touch on his shoulder. After nearly five hours of uneventful travel (excluding a wild hen party and crossing the Tyne) I had arrived in Edinburgh for the very first time. We connected onto the Stirling train on which I opened the world's best dish of pasta, no lie. After nearly an hour we got off and found the hostel after an unexpectedly short walk. It was run by a middle-aged Danish bloke who appeared to be backpacking. He liked to drink. A trip to Tesco ensued in which I made the most bizarre discovery of own brand Irn Bru, and bed was at 11. Too early. I had been to bed the night before at about 2, but I slept remarkably adequately. Had the obligatory breakfast of cold oats and milk, and headed up to the race.

The race was too long for me. Eleven kilometres is okay but too much when you have to stay focussed for more or less forty minutes. I came 102nd, missing out on a half purple for ULU by two places. Ah well. That's what you get when you don't revise hard enough. It was alright anyway.

We proceeded to watch a very successful game of rugby on England's part, and sampled Tennent's finest lager before going to eat feeling tipsy from three drinks. The bacon burger helped. The after party followed, which took London's mildness to a new level. The dancefloor had no air conditioning and was packed full. The bar wait time was about half an hour, if you were aggressive enough. We left at about half 1 on Durham's coach (don't ask) and it was straight to bed. The following morning's run was a laboured affair initially, but we soon made light work of 62 minutes.

Shower and we left. I sent the folks a postcard, and we boarded an earlier train for Edinburgh, so we could spend a couple of hours marvelling at the sights. The 'Burgh was indeed marvellous. We caught some food (my choice was sausages and mash) and we went for Waverley. We all sat together which was fantastic, and I showed Stephen the magic of Sporcle.com. Jelly Babies and M&Ms were distributed in abundance. At about half 8 the train arrived in London again, ending the magic...

The after-after party is on Wednesday. Looking forward.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete